Weekly Agenda: AARP COVID-19 Vaccine Information Session, Black History Month Events
The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events to come over the next week in the Tysons area.
We searched the web for major events in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean and Falls Church. Do you know what we missed? Tell us!
Tuesday (February 16)
- Group of mystery books (Online) – 7:20 pm – The mysterious book group at the Tysons-Pimmit Regional Library will discuss the “Bel-Air Murder” of Cara Black for their February meeting. Register at the Fairfax County Public Library for a link to the event.
Wednesday (February 17)
Thursday (February 18)
- College Book Club (Online) – 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. – The Mary Riley Styles Public Library Book Club for Grades 6 to 8 will discuss Edward Bloor’s young adult novel “Tangerine” for its February reunion . Email Laura Miller at [email protected] for the Zoom link.
- Vision Board Workshop (Online) – 6 p.m. – The Boro in Tysons organizes a virtual workshop with the art studio CraftJam on vision boarding, which involves creating a collage of images or objects that reflect your goals for the future. Participants must register in advance to reserve a place and receive a list of suggested materials.
Friday (February 19)
- Mayor’s March – 9:30 am at the Vienna City Hall (127 Center Street S) – The Mayor of Vienna, Linda Colbert, will be doing her monthly city hall walk to give community members the opportunity to chat or ask a question.
- Black Virtual History Program (Online) – 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. – Fairfax County celebrates February as Black History Month with an evening of discussion and music. Speakers will include Oversight Board Chairman Jeff McKay, County Director Bryan Hill, Health Director Dr Gloria Addo-Ayensu, and George Mason University Director of African and African American Studies Mark Hopson. The event will also feature hip-hop artist Dumi RIGHT and musical selections from actor Amber Iman, the Hamilton Brothers, and more. The event will be broadcast live on television and online via Channel 16, and it will be available to view upon request thereafter.
- Virtual family bingo night (Online) – 7 to 9 p.m. – Pre-registration is recommended for the McLean Community Center Old Firehouse Virtual Bingo Night, which will include games and prizes. The event costs $ 5 per person for five bingo cards.
Saturday (February 20)
- McLean CBC Virtual Open House (Online) – 9-11 a.m. – Fairfax County is hosting a Virtual Community Open House to discuss the latest draft of its revised comprehensive plan for the McLean Community Business District. The meeting can be followed via WebEx.
- Fairfax COVID-19 Vaccine Information Session (Online) – 10-11 a.m. – AARP hosts COVID-19 vaccine conference with Fairfax County Health Director Dr. Gloria Addo-Ayensu who can answer questions about how the vaccine works, its cost and the process for getting vaccinated. Register for the virtual event via AARP website.
- Freedom and dance for all (Online) – 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. – Educator and author Clarence McFerren II will discuss dance as a means of liberating black communities from social injustice. The Patrick Henry Public Library in Vienna is hosting the event and participants must register in advance to receive a link.
Photo via Dr Wendy Longo / Flickr