Crown Melbourne suspends gaming operations over latest COVID-19 outbreak
Crown Melbourne has been forced to suspend gambling operations for the third time in just over a year as Australia’s state of Victoria enters its final 7-day lockdown.
A cluster of new COVID-19 cases linked to a hotel quarantine violation saw the government announce on Thursday that the state would go into lockdown starting at midnight, with residents only allowed to leave their homes for the night. food and supplies, essential work, exercise between them person or to get vaccinated.
Gatherings of all kinds are prohibited while restaurants, pubs and cafes are limited to take-out service only.
Hotels, clubs and casinos are to close, with the Crown issuing a statement confirming that gambling activities would cease again.
Hotel accommodation will continue to be provided for approved purposes, while Crown said it will continue to pay the hours and wages listed on the employee roster during the period.
“Crown Melbourne will continue to work closely with government and health authorities in Victoria and respond to actions taken in relation to COVID-19,” the company said.
Crown had closed its Melbourne casino for almost eight months last year, from late March to mid-November, as Victoria endured Australia’s worst ZCOVID-19 outbreak to date.